I am now officially on break until the new year! So I get to spend some of this down time reflecting on 2013 and making plans for 2014. 2013 was a wonderful year! So much happened and I feel like I grew so much as a photographer and business owner. I cannot wait to keep working on things and getting better in 2014 too!
Here are some goals for the new year:
- Keep up the blogging! It was my goal in 2013 to become consistent with blogging and I did. Now I want to develop more, and better content while still remaining consistent. Maybe some new series. Are there any you’d like to see?
- Be more on point for Social Media. Outside of Facebook and my blog I haven’t spent much time using social media. Mainly because those are the only two I use personally. I don’t quite understand all the others. This year I’d like to put the time in to figure out how to use them as best I can,. Since almost all of my work comes from word of mouth social media is probably really important.
- I’d like to get a few articles featured on some blogs. I’m not sure what topics I’d like to write. But I’d love to share my knowledge with future brides out there. Especially since so many photography articles in wedding magazines are crazy wrong! Let’s set the record straight.
- Get online contracts and payments set up. I really want to make the process as easy as possible for my clients and I think #1 on my list for that is to get things online. No more mailing contracts, and emailing them. Just login to your account and sign. I think that would be so nice!
- Get a logo and use it on my website, business cards and social media. I’ve never done this (because I’m horrible at graphic design) so it’s kind of all a mishmash right now. Thankfully I’ll be working with a fabulous designer this spring to get it all together!
- Do a shoot for me once a month. This one is also pretty ambitious, but I’d really like to set up a shoot for me once a month. It’s a great time to practice and explore new things. Now I just need some ideas and models… well I’ve got a few, but I need more if I’m to do one a month!
- Continue to learn more about flash. I’ve learned a ton this year, and started using off camera flash, but I know there is so much more to learn to be really really good at it. Most of my work is outside and natural light, but truly understanding everything about flash will raise my reception photos and after dark photos to a new level and I want to work on that.
- Book up my year! So if you know anyone who is getting married or needs family photos send them my way!
Here are some photos of the behind the scenes of a recent photo shoot. I’ll share the final photos soon! (1. Supplies scattered everywhere. 2. Jacquelyn of Enlightened Styles making Laurie look amazing. 3. Johanna of Simplicity Events helping set up and Laurie trying to stay warm. 4. Johanna & Laura of Buttercups Florals having fun)