Things picked up in April and suddenly time started to fly! Shockingly it is now May (and my birthday month!) and I plan to enjoy every moment! Big things are coming for my business this year and I couldn’t be more excited. And every month brings me that much closer to sharing them all with you. So let’s make some goals!
Business Goals (April):
- Set work hours. I didn’t officially do this. I do try to have a balance between work and personal, and I’d like to always respond to emails and phone calls during normal business hours so no one comes to expect that I will return emails at odd hours… but the reality of April was that I was often out of the office during normal business hours and when I had the time to respond to people was evenings and weekends. It was that or take too long to respond. Though I still would like to work on setting a schedule.
- Set the date on my cherry blossom bridal shoot. Oh… I set a date, but then the orchard got sprayed with pesticides and we couldn’t go… and then the deluge came and I’m no longer sure there are any blossoms left to photograph. This makes me so sad, but that just the way it is with cherry blossoms. They come and go in a few days and if you can’t get everyones schedules to align during that short window you miss out.
- Start working on my new branding/website/logo. This finally got started and I am so excited to share it/see it (since we aren’t very far in and I don’t have anything to share yet!) But I’ve been talking and refining my style/goals/feel and I’m very excited to see what 315 Design comes up with!
- Start working on my client experience and workflow. I’ve started this huge re-branding process. It’s going to be wonderful. I am by no means anywhere close to done but I’m still very excited to see it all come together in the next few months.
Personal Goals (April):
- Make a serious effort to have date night again! I did make a good effort. And I think it happened once or twice… when I didn’t have shoots or meeting every single night of the week…
- Plant the rest of the garden. Nope. I got a bunch more plants in the ground, but I still have to get the beans and corn planted. bit by bit!
- Get some fruit trees and plant them. I got some! I haven’t figured out exactly where I want to plant them yet. I know about where they will go, but I don’t want to plant them and then realize I should have moved it three feet over or something silly.
- Go for more walks. I didn’t do this either. Though I did get a lot of walking done during engagement shoots… does that count? No? Oh well. I’ll keep at it. 🙂
When looking at my goals for April I feel kinda sad, since I didn’t get them all done. But if I just think about everything that happened in April I’m happy with it. So I’m gonna choose to be happy with April and keep working on my goals in May!
- Keep working on my new branding. I should be getting my first draft of a new logo this month. And I’m so excited to see it! I can’t wait to keep working on it.
- Keep meeting new people in the wedding industry! I did a great job of this in April and I want to keep the momentum going for May. I met some really neat people in April and I’d love to go out to lunch with them in May to get to know them better.
- Start planning and promoting my family photography. Ever since I moved to VA I’ve been so focused on building up my wedding photography that I haven’t promoted my family photography much and as a result I don’t do much of it. But I LOVE working with families and I really want to do a ton more over the summer and fall. So I need to start getting my name out there and getting some sessions on the calendar.
- Continue working on my skills with flash (both on and off camera.) I’ve gotten so much better than last year but I’ve still got a few things I’d like to be more confident and faster about.
- Have a birthday celebration! Can that be a goal? I’m not sure. But it was so fun having one for Ryan’s birthday this March and since I didn’t have parties for like the last decade of birthdays I think I want to start celebrating them again. They are such a great way to spend time with friends and eat cake. All good things.
- Go for more walks! Still a goal. It’s so good for me.
- Drink more water! I slipped in April and haven’ been staying hydrated enough. Time to make sure I always have water with me!
- Keep working on the yard! I want to make sure those fruit trees get planted (and stay alive) and that the garden gets more veggie seeds in the ground. I also want to keep working on the ditch… bit by bit it’s getting better!
May is going to be a busy but amazing month! I am so excited for all the photo shoots I have coming up and the plans for the future. What are some of your goals for May?
Here is a look at some of my iPhone/Instagram photos from March and April. We saw our families, got a new couch, shoveled a lot, worked on the laundry closet, planted some veggies, attended an awesome masquerade wedding, spent time with friends and built a chicken coop (more to come on that.) Phew! If you are interested in seeing more follow me on Instagram – Leliamariephoto.