One of everyone’s favorite questions for me is “what kind of gear do you use?” I hear it from fellow photographers, engaged couples & guests at the wedding. So I thought I’d share it all in one big post. Here is what I bring with me on a typical wedding day.
Think Tank Airport International: It’s small enough to be carried on the plane on most flights. This has been with me on planes, trains and automobiles and works really well. I like that I can wheel it around, because all this gear is heavy!
(2) Canon 5D mkIII: My favorite camera! I prefer to shoot with two cameras at the same time on a wedding day so I don’t have to switch lenses as frequently. Also if (heaven forbid!) one of them broke or malfunctioned, I’ve always got another one on me and ready to go.
Canon 24-70 2.8: A good standard lens. Not my favorite, but a workhorse. I use it during every part of the day.
Canon 70-200 2.8: My absolute favorite lens! If I could shoot the whole day on this I just might. And I frequently do for engagement shoots. By far the heaviest lens I have to carry but totally worth all the weight. 🙂
Canon 35 2.0: I always have this lens with me in case I need to switch to something really light at the end of the day (during dancing) or if I’m in a horribly dark room. But normally I never use it. It’s slow and noisy and I just don’t like it much.
Canon 50 1.4: I love this lens! I typically only use it for detail shots, but it does a beautiful job!
Canon 85 1.8: Another lens I love! This was the very first prime lens I got (years and years ago) and it is still beautiful. I go through phases when I don’t use it much and then when I do use it I remember how much I love it.
Canon 100 2.8 Macro: I typically use this lens for only one shot during a wedding. The ring shot. I haven’t found that it does anything else better than the other lenses so I typically use them unless I need a macro.
(4) Canon 600x-rt Flashes: Yep. I bring a ton of flashes with me. I typically use them in dark getting ready rooms and during the reception. Sometimes I even use all 4 at once. Though I am normally not firing all 4 at once. I like these ones because the radio transmitters are built in and I can control them from my camera. It makes changing settings (I use my flashes all in manual) a lot faster! They were totally worth the upgrade!
So those are the major pieces of equipment in my bag. I also carry:
- 3 light stands
- 1 tripod
- 2 Fong diffusers for my flashes
- Color correcting gels for the flashes
- A bajillion rechargeable batteries for my flashes & two external battery packs for them, one Quantum and one that I can fill with AA batteries.
- Extra Camera batteries
- Way too many gigs of CF cards. Everything I shoot on the wedding day gets recorded to two different cards so that I shouldn’t ever loose any images.
- Granola bars. Because sometimes you get really hungry and only have a minute to eat!
- Printed schedule of the day & pen
- Ear plugs. Because omg the music is played so LOUD at weddings! (Most of them anyway) and sometimes the best place for the photo is near the speakers. And I don’t want to go deaf.
So that is a quick look at what I carry in my wedding bag. I’m going to talk about how I use each lens in future blog posts so stay tuned! 🙂